- B.S. Athletic Training, High Point University, High Point, NC
- M.S. Kinesiology and Health Promotion, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Ph.D. Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- AT 2005 - Concepts in Athletic Training
- AT 4000 - Athletic Training Clinical Laboratory VI
- AT 5350 - Physiology of Injury
- AT 5370 - Principles of Evidence-Based pRactice
- AT 5680 - Seminar in Clinical Reasoning II
- AT 5720 - Behavioral Health
- AT 5870 - Implementation of Patient-Centered Care
- AT 5970 - Clinical Inquiry II
Professional Affiliations / Organizations
- Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC)
- North Carolina Licensed Athletic Trainer (LAT)
- National Athletic Trainers' Association – Member 2003- Present
- North Carolina Athletic Trainers’ Association – 2003-2004, 2006-2007, 2015-Present
- Athletic Trainers' Osteoarthritis Consortium – founding member 2011-present, Public Relations Co-Chair 2015-2017, Annual Meeting Chair and Executive Committee Member-at-Large 2017-Present
- Assessment of Function and Health-Related Quality of Life
- Clinical Applications of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures
- Articular Cartilage Repair and Restoration
Burland JP, Toonstra JL, Howard JS. Psychosocial Barriers After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Clinical Review of Factors Influencing Post-Operative Success. Sports Health (In Press)
Burland JP, Toonstra JL, Werner JL, Mattacola CG, Howell DM, Howard JS. Decision to Return to Sport Following ACL Reconstruction: Part I A Qualitative Investigation of Psychosocial Factors. Journal of Athletic Training. 2018;53(5):454-463.
Werner JL, Burland JP, Toonstra JL, English RA, Mattacola CG, Howard JS. Decision to Return-to-Sport Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: Part II Self-Report and Functional Performance Outcomes. Journal of Athletic Training. 2018;53(5):464-474.
Whale Conley CE, Olson AD, Howard JS, Dressler EVM, Lattermann C, Mattacola CG. Use of an Adpatation to the Health Belief Model to Influence Rehabilitation Adherence in Athletic Training. Athletic Training & Sports Heathcare. 2018;10(1):10-19.
Harput GH, Howard JS, Mattacola CG. Comparison of Muscle Activation Levels between Healthy and ACL Reconstructed Individuals during Eccentric and Concentric Phases of Functional Tasks. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2016;46(11):984-992.
Howard JS, Toonstra JL, Meade A, Whale Conley CE, Mattacola CG "Feasibility of Conducting a Web-Based Survey of Patient-Reported Outcomes and Rehabilitation Progress" Digital Health. 2016;2. DOI: 10.1177/2055207616644844
Burnham J, Howard JS, Hayes CB, Lattermann C. Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction with Concomitant Tibial Tubercle Transfer: A Systematic Review of Outcomes and Complications. Arthroscopy 2016;32(6):1185-1195.
Gabler CM, Jacobs CA, Howard JS, Mattacola CG, Johnson DL. Comparison of graft-failure rate between autografts placed via an anatomic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction technique: A systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2016;44(4):1069-1079.
Howard JS, Lembach ML, Metzler AV. Johnson, DL. Rates and Determinants of Return to Play after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in Division I College Soccer Athletes: A Study of the Southeastern Conference. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2016;44(2):433-439.
Howard JS, Mattacola CG, Mullineaux DR, English RA, Lattermann C. Patient Oriented and Performance Based Outcomes following Knee Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation: a time line for the 1st year of recovery. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2014;23:223-234.
Howard JS, Mattacola CG, Mullineaux DR, English RA, Lattermann C. Influence of response shift on early patient-reported outcomes following autologous chondrocyte implantation. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2014;22(9):2163-2171
Toonstra JL, Howard JS, Uhl TL, English RA, Mattacola CG. The role of rehabilitation following autologous chondrocyte implantation: A retrospective chart review. International Journal of Sport Physical Therapy. 2013;8(5):670-679.
Howard JS, Lattermann C, Hoch JM, Mattacola CG, McKeon JM. Comparing responsiveness of six common patient reported outcomes to changes following autologous chondrocyte implantation: A systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Cartilage. 2013;4(2):97-110.
Shah JN, Howard JS, Flanigan DC, Brophy RH, Carey JL, Lattermann C. A systematic review of complications and failures associated with medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction for recurrent patellar dislocation. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2012;40(8):1916-1923
Title: Associate Professor, Athletic Training, Athletic Training Graduate Program Director
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7985
Fax: (828) 262-3138